Even though Canadian Thanksgiving has come and gone, I like to celebrate a second time in honour of my American friends. That is, I’ll take any excuse to eat delicious vegan Thanksgiving foods a second time, like this Traditional Bread Stuffing. Also known as dressing. Click here for the printable recipe.
Video Tutorial for Classic Bread Stuffing
Everyone seems to like their holiday dressing a little bit different. Some like it really saturated, like a bread pudding, while I like mine only slightly moist and crisp on top. Feel free to the adjust the quantities in this recipe to suit your own taste and needs. You can add things like dried fruit and nuts, different herbs, or leave it fairly plain so your guests can add their own mix-in’s.
Here are some other recipes that I’ve served for the holidays:
Printable Recipe for Vegan Traditional Bread Stuffing- US
- 5-6 cups stale breaf (about one large loaf)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (237ml)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegan butter
- 1-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (herb blend of thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper and nutmeg)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cut bread into 1" cubes (2.5cm) and set aside. Heat olive oil or vegan butter in a pot large enough to hold most of the cubed bread on medium heat.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic when the pot is hot. Cook for until the vegetables are quite soft. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add the broth, salt and herbs. Allow the broth to come to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Add the cubes of bread, stirring in a couple cups at a time. When the broth is completely absorbed, taste to see if you would like to add any more salt, pepper, or broth. Adjust to your preference.
- Now the stuffing is ready to be put into a vegan roast or baked on it's own. If baking on it's own, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the breadcrumbs in a baking dish, lined with parchment paper.Top with any seasonings you like. Bake for 30 minutes or until the stuffing is heated through and crisp on top. Enjoy!
- Put this stuffing into a savory roast seitan! Try this Stuffed Seitan Roast with Mushroom Gravy!
- Only have FRESH bread on hand? Cube it up and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes to dry them out.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 51Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Nutritional Information automatically calculated by a plugin and may not be correct.