Seitan is a high-protein, low-fat vegan food made from wheat gluten. Don’t fear gluten, HAIL SEITAN!…Unless you’re allergic/intolerant of course (because in that case, I am sorry…maybe check out this gluten-free, soy-free Burmese Tofu or Black Bean falafel instead..). Click here for the printable recipe.
Video Tutorial for Simple Savory Seitan for Sandwiches
This simple savory seitan loaf is ideal for slicing up and stuffing into sandwiches or chopping into chunks and stir-frying. It’s a good substitute for store-bought tofurky slices. I quite like the oven roasted Tofurky slices but I don’t love spending $4 a pack and being responsible for all that packaging.
More Seitan Recipes:
Just get the ingredients together and mix them up into a dough. Then knead for a few seconds, wrap it up in some oiled up foil and steam for 40 minutes or so.
Printable Recipe for Simple Savory Seitan
Vegan Sandwich Meat (high protein low carb)
This high protein sliceable vegan meat is made from gluten and seasonings and steamed until perfectly cooked while retaining juiciness.
- 1 cup hot water (237ml)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 cube or one teaspoon low-sodium vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons organic miso paste
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (175g - for best results measure by WEIGHT)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the gluten and whisk until the miso and bouillon cube are dissolved.
- Add the gluten and stir until it turns into dough. Knead a few times and form into a log shape.
- Wrap in foil or parchment paper tightly; fold ends under.
- With plenty of boiling water under the steamer basket, place seitan inside, cover and steam over high heat for one hour.
- Remove the seitan carefully with tongs and let cool before slicing.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to one week. Seitan can also be frozen; though fresh is best.
[…] though, you can always use homemade seitan or other sort of vegan protein-rich filling. Try this Simple Savory Seitan or Chinese Five Spice Seitan for an different […]
[…] Simple Savory Seitan for Sandwiches […]