Hainanese Chilli Sauce is a must when enjoying Hainanese rice, a national dish of Singapore which is popular throughout Asia. This traditional recipe is super simple with only five ingredients; we swap out just one ingredient to make it vegan. This unique sauce is fresh, bright and savory all at the same time. Try it on rice, noodles, or even in sandwiches. The spice level is on the mid to high range but can be customized to your preference.
While you’re making this sauce, it’s a good idea to make some Scallion Ginger Sauce at the same time.
Video Tutorial for Vegan Hainanese Chili Sauce
Printable recipe for Vegan Hainanese Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh red chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons broth (from making Vegan Hainanese "Chicken" Rice, link in above description)
- 4 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Mix together all the ingredients. For best results, let rest for at least 10 minutes before serving. Store in a glass container in the fridge for up to one week.
- *If you're making this sauce without making Hainanese Rice, use chicken-style vegetable broth. It's will not be as authentic but you will still have a great tasting sauce.
- When preparing the red chili peppers, avoid contact with eyes, nose, mouth and other sensitive skin as well as kids and pets. Using food prep gloves is highly recommended. The oil from the peppers can be very strong and hard to wash off completely.