Vegan fresh pasta is actually easy to make from scratch. All you need is flour, water and salt. I also use a bit of oil to make the dough softer and easier to roll out since I don’t have a working pasta maker…and not even a proper rolling pin! If you haven’t made fresh pasta at home yet, I really urge you to try it! Fresh made pasta is so tender and delicious. Once you have your own homemade pasta, you may never go back to store bought!
Click here for the printable recipe.
Vegan Fresh Pasta Video Tutorial
The inspiration for this recipe was actually an omni recipe that I tried years ago. For this vegan version of handmade pasta noodles, I simply did away with the egg component, adjusted the water content and it worked out just fine!
I made fettuccine pasta because it was the easiest to do: just roll out and cut up. However, I have used this same recipe to make ravioli and tortellini as well. You can make different noodle styles as well like spaghetti and angel hair.
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments. And feel free to suggest any dish you’d like to see veganized!
Printable Recipe For Vegan Fresh Pasta
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour [150g]
- 1/3 cup water at room temperature [95ml]
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Optional: 1 teaspoon oil (such as olive oil)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Stir everything together until it forms a dough.
- Using clean hands, knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for at least 15 minutes. This will make rolling out the dough much easier.
- You may divide the dough up into four pieces to make the rolling process easier.
- Knead the dough into a rough rectangle log-shape.
- Using a rolling pin or pasta maker, roll the dough out to your desired thickness. For this fettuccine, I rolled it out to about 1mm thickness.
- Dust the top of the dough with flour and roll it up. Use a sharp knife to cut sections across the roll. I made mine 1cm thick, but you can make your pasta as wide or narrow as you like.
- Unroll the pasta to reveal your pasta noodles. Dust with flour to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Now you're ready to cook the pasta!
- Heat a pot with water and a pinch of salt to boiling.
- Drop the pasta noodles in and allow it to cook until they float to the top. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Drain the water out and serve!
- To store the fresh pasta in the fridge, dust the noodles with flour to prevent them from sticking and store in an air-tight container. It will keep up to a week or you may freeze it.
- To store as dry pasta, let the pasta air-dry on a rack until completely dry. Then store in an air-tight container or bag.