These pillowy soft vegan tomato garlic cheesy buns are easy to make, great to snack on and include flax meal so they’re kinda healthy. Just kidding. This is vegan junk food!
These are based on my original vegan Garlic Cheesy Bun recipe, but this one skips on the store-bought vegan cheese and just loads up on the garlic, nooch, and pizza sauce. Just the other day I was thinking about old recipes that I haven’t made recently. My food experiments have led to some great new recipes but old favourites were being neglected. Why do I feel like they needed attention? That, I cannot answer. ha! These cheesy buns came to mind and I was immediately glad to have my very own “recipe app” (aka this website) to refer to. 😀
Printable recipe for Vegan Tomato Garlic Cheesy Buns
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose, white flour (more if needed)
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup very warm water
- 4 tablespoons cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon flax seed meal (optional, for the Omega's!)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of traditional, dry active yeast
- 1 pinch salt
For garlic spread
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup vegan parmesan
- 2-3 tablespoons tomato sauce of choice
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius)
- Combine Earth Balance and 4 tablespoons of minced garlic. Heat until melted in the microwave or carefully on stove top. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar into the warm water and add the dry active yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes or until all the yeast blooms.
- Add the nutritional yeast, 4 tablespoons of minced garlic, salt, and flax seed (if using) and mix well.
- Add the flour, a half cup at a time, until the mixture forms into a dough ball.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle.
- Brush the garlic butter mixture evenly on the dough, leaving two inches at the end away from you unbuttered. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the garlic butter.
- Spread a thin layer of 1 tablespoon tomato sauce on top, still leaving two inches uncovered.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of vegan parm over the dough. Starting at the end closest to you, roll the dough up into a log shape. Pinch the unbuttered end into the roll.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll up into 2 inches pieces and place the pieces on to a parchment lined baking sheet. Alternatively, place them in a muffin tin lined with parchment cups.
- Cover with a wet cloth and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes or until the rolls have puffed up to about double in size.
- Carefully remove the cloth and top the rolls with the reserved garlic butter and tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining vegan parm on the top of the rolls.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden.
No rising?! For the best results, after forming the dough, you can cover and let rise for an hour. Then punch it down and continue the recipe. This will result in a lighter bread but to be honest, most of the time I skip that step and it ends up pretty good anyway.
Serving Size:1 bun
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
Nutritional Information automatically calculated by a plugin and may not be correct.