The absolute perfect healthy breakfast after a night out, this Thai Curry Tofu Scramble recipe is super easy to throw together. Use store-bought marinated firm tofu so you can get this dish done fast! And feel free to use up whatever vegetable odds and ends you have in the fridge to use up.
A couple weekends ago, a girl friend and I went down to Seattle for some shopping and nightlife. While the shopping was mediocre, we definitely had a fun night.
So the next morning we needed some serious breakfast therapy. We stumbled around in Belltown until we happened upon Cyclops. Not a one-eyed monster, but a funky-looking restaurant and bar. I was prepared to make do with plain toast and OJ as I didn’t expect a vegan option on the menu. But lucky for me, they had a Thai-inspired Tofu Scramble. Sounds a bit boring, but it was SO SCRUMPTIOUS. This plate was just the thing to perk me up enough for shopping, round 2!
So here’s my quick and easy, Cyclops-inspired Tantalizing Thai Curry Tofu Scramble…
Thai Curry Tofu Scramble
An easy tofu scramble with big, bold flavours! Use store-bought marinated tofu to skip some prep, but if your local stores don't carry it, see the notes for a DIY method.
- 1 block of medium-firm marinated tofu, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 small sweet white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 mushrooms, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 tsp Thai red/green/yellow curry paste
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a frying pan/skillet, on medium-high heat, add 1-2 tsp of oil, the curry paste and onion. Let it cook until the onion just begins to brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry a few seconds.
- Add the marinated tofu and let cook for two minutes just to heat it through. You want to let all excess moisture evaporate.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the rest of the ingredients. At this point, you'll want to keep the ingredients moving; hence the "scramble". Cook just until the veggies turn bright; about a minute. Transfer to your serving plates and serve immediately.
If your local stores don't carry marinated tofu, you can do it yourself! Press medium-firm or firm tofu to get rid of excess water first (you can use this tutorial). Then marinate it overnight in extra strong vegetable broth. Drain before cutting into cubes for this recipe.
Serving Size:half of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 335mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 27g
Nutritional Information automatically calculated by a plugin and may not be correct.
[…] had countless tofu scrambles after going vegan almost 5 years ago. Some not very scrambley (like this Thai Curry scramble based on cubed tofu), some crumbly, many very sad and bland (at restaurants), and others have been super tasty […]