The Vegan Chinese Cream Corn Soup with Egg Drop super comforting and tastes just like the original! The corn makes it sweet and savory while a special ingredient replaces the egg.
Video Tutorial for Vegan Chinese Cream Corn Soup with “Egg Drop”
Printable Recipe for Vegan Chinese Cream Corn Soup with “Egg Drop”
- 1 - 14oz can creamed corn (414ml)
- 2 cups vegan chicken-style broth (475ml)
- 3/4 cup plain, unsweetened soy milk (175ml)
- 1/4 cup cold water (60ml)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped scallion & hot chili oil to garnish (optional)
- Start heating up the soy milk over medium high heat in a flat, wide non-stick sauce pan until it starts to simmer. As soon as it does, turn the heat down to medium or just low enough that it keeps simmering without boiling. Keep an eye on this to prevent overheating.
- Meanwhile, combine the creamed corn and broth in a pot over high heat. Wait for it to come to a boil. While you wait, stir the cold water and cornstarch together until dissolved. When the corn and broth come to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Allow the soup to come to a boil again, then turn off the heat. Add salt and pepper to your taste if desired.
- The soy milk should be forming a skin on the surface by this time. Using chopsticks or other non-scratching utensil, pull the skin (known as yuba) out. It may stick to the pan at the edges; gently scrape it away. Lift the yuba out, let the excess soy milk drip off, and place on a plate.
- After a few minutes, a second skin will form on the surface of the soy milk. Lift it out and repeat until the soy milk is mostly evaporated. You may need to keep lowering the temperature of the soy milk as you do this.
- To serve, ladle the hot creamed corn soup into bowls and add a few pieces of the yuba to each bowl. Break up the pieces and swirl the soup around to get that "egg drop soup" look. Garnish with chopped scallion and a few drops of hot chili oil if desired. Enjoy!