This vegan white sauce is super easy to make, looks and tastes like it’s full of cream and fat but it’s not! I came up with this when I was craving pasta alfredo but was out of cashews. I had been hooked on a recipe from The 30-Day Vegan Challenge by Colleen Patrick-Godreau and probably had been overdoing it on the fat. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with having some healthy fats from nuts in reasonable portions…but I am not always reasonable when it comes to creamy pasta!
What I Ate Wednesday Video featuring Silken Tofu Pasta Alfredo Sauce
Don’t be afraid of silken tofu, even if you’re someone who doesn’t normally like the taste of tofu. Silken tofu is not the same as the regular stuff. It is sold in terapaks and doesn’t need to be refrigerated. It’s made with a different coagulant than regular tofu so that the resulting texture is smooth, not spongy. When it’s blended up, it becomes super creamy and doesn’t have much of a flavour so you can add whatever seasonings you like. Use extra firm for a thicker consistency and the regular firm for something a bit lighter. One mainstream brand available widely is Morinu.
This recipe happens to be gluten-free as well, as long as you choose gluten-free bouillon powder/cubes. I use McCormick’s All-Vegetable Chicken-style Bouillon Cubes as a shortcut to getting the full-bodied flavour of stock without having to cook it from scratch. It’s an easy way to make it seem like you actually did work. But in reality, this recipe is as much work as turning on a blender.
Choose any pasta noodle that you’d like with this sauce. If you’re feeling adventurous, why not make your own fresh pasta? It’s easy; check out this recipe for vegan fresh pasta. You don’t even need a pasta making machine.
If you’re not into tofu, you can also make a creamy alfredo sauce with avocado. Find that recipe here.
If you ARE into silken tofu, here’s another recipe featuring this versatile ingredient that is sweet and fruity: Strawberry Breakfast Pudding.
Per 1/4 recipe (1 serving)
Cal 37; Carbs 3g; Fat 2g; Protein 4g; Vitamin C 2%; Iron 3%
Printable Recipe for Healthy Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Silken Tofu
- 6oz | silken tofu, firm/extra firm (half a box of Morinu)
- 1 tablespoon | 15cc nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon | 2.5cc red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon | 5ml lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 cube chicken-style bouillon (about 5cc powder)
- 2 tablespoons | 30ml water
- Combine all the ingredients. If using a high-powered blender, you may not need to add water. Blend until smooth.
- Add this sauce to pasta and heat on medium to warm up. The sauce will thicken after resting a few minutes.
- Adjust this sauce to your own tastes! Add salt and pepper to taste, reduce or leave out the red chili flakes, or use a different kind of bouillon. It's all up to you.