This double crust vegan chicken pot pie tastes like the traditional version but is completely plant-based! You can make the vegan chicken completely from scratch or sub in a store-bought substitute. The vegan pot pie filling is creamy and packed with flavour enveloped by a flaky, tender and delicious top and bottom crust.
Pin this for later or Skip to the Printable Recipe.
Video Tutorial for Double Crust Vegan Chicken Pot Pie
Why make THIS Vegan Chicken Pot Pie
When you say pie, I envision flaky and tender top and bottom crust enveloping a delicious filling inside. And when I asked on Instagram, you agreed! Especially for vegan chicken pot pie. While many chicken pot pie recipes are really just a top pastry covering a creamy chicken soup, this one is a proper pie.
You can make it with store-bought crust or easily make your own using my Simple Vegan Pie Crust recipe.
The filling is quite traditional except for switching out regular chicken for Vegan Chicken. For the best Vegan Chicken Pot Pie filling, I use my Chickeny Chickless Seitan. It’s just super versatile, meaty, and already infused with chicken-like flavour.
The filling comes together in mere minutes.
Then you’ll simply mix in sautéed Chickeny Chickless Seitan and some frozen vegetables and fill up the pie crust.
Add the top crust, brush on some melted coconut oil and bake at 425°F for 45 to 55 minutes and you’ve got a hearty, delicious Vegan Chicken Pot Pot that everyone will love!
More Recipes Using Chickeny Chickless Seitan
- 1 batch of Simple Vegan Pie Crust Dough (about 1 lbs 2oz or 560g pie dough)
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, divided (60g)
- 2 cups Chickeny Chickless Seitan in ½” cubes (260g)
- ¾ cups diced carrot (90g)
- ¾ cups diced celery (90g)
- ¾ cups diced white onion (90g)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp grated ginger (optional)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain plant-based milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vegan chicken broth paste/powder
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon dried tarragon (optional)
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup frozen corn
- Before beginning, make the Simple Vegan Pie Crust Dough at least one hour ahead of time (up to 3 days before).
- In a large pan, melt a half tablespoon of vegan butter or coconut oil over medium high heat. When hot, add the Chickeny Chickless Seitan. Sauté until the bottoms are well browned then transfer to a large mixing bowl to cool. Scrape off sticking bits then return the pan to the stove.
- Add another half tablespoon of vegan butter. When hot, add the carrot, celery and onion. Stirring occasionally, sauté for 7 minutes or until the onion is translucent and the celery is quite soft. Turn the heat down if it is cooking too fast. Then, add the garlic (plus ginger if using) and season with salt.
- Add a tablespoon of vegan butter to the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and sprinkle over the flour. Fold so the vegetables are well coated in flour. While gently stirring, slowly pour in the plant-based milk and water. Continue to stir until the flour dissolves and there are no lumps. Add the vegan chicken broth paste/powder, white pepper, poultry seasoning, and dried tarragon.
- Allow the sauce to simmer and thicken up. When it’s quite thick, remove from heat. Add the browned Chickeny Chickless seitan, frozen peas, and frozen corn. Fold well and let cool while you roll out your pie crusts.
- Get ready to bake your Double Crust Vegan Chicken Pot Pie!
- First, start preheating your oven to 425°F.
- Remove dough from the fridge and with each, roll out to 11” - 12” discs. Place one piece in your 9” pie dish and press gently to fit. Let the excess hang over the edge; do not trim yet.
- Add the cooled Vegan Chicken Pot Pie filling. Then place the second disc of pie crust dough over top. Press gently all around the edge to seal. Trim the edges that overhang with a sharp knife, then use fingers to flute the edges or simply crimp with a fork.
- Cut a small hole at the center of the top crust and a few 1” slits for steam to escape.
- Brush top with melted vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Bake pie on the middle rack for 45 to 55 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and you can see bubbling action coming out the top.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
To make this recipe soy-free, please make sure to buy soy-free vegan butter and use soy-free plant-based milk.