Super flavourful Vegan Buffalo Chicken Pizza is the perfect meal when time or energy is in short supply! Ready in less than 30 minutes, we employ a few time saving tactics, like using leftover vegan chicken (like Chickeny Chickless Seitan) or tofu and premade frozen pizza crust.
Video Tutorial for Vegan Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Why You’ll Love this Easy Vegan Buffalo Chicken Pizza
Who doesn’t love a good Buffalo Chicken Pizza? This one is especially great because it:
- is ready in 30 minutes or less,
- uses convenient vegan products (or you can use homemade, of course),
- topped with meltier vegan cheese thanks to a special technique,
- is super flavourful with a mixture of tomato and Buffalo sauce,
- and satisfying and creamy from vegan sour cream.
Ingredients for Easy Vegan Buffalo Pizza
To save time, this Easy Vegan Buffalo Pizza recipe includes a few vegan products and/or coincidentally plant-based. Luckily, these days, vegan cheese and butter are easy to find. Plus, premade frozen pizza crusts are often vegan-friendly.
2 x 9″ Frozen Pizza Crusts
While fresh made pizza crust is always the most delicious, it takes quite a bit of time to mix up and rise. With premade frozen crusts, you can simply add topping and bake so your pizza can be assembled and baked in about 15 minutes. I tested this recipe with Banza Plain Crust Pizza which is vegan and gluten-free. However, there are many options on the market; including those that happen to be vegan-friendly but aren’t explicitly marketed as such. So check the ingredients list on the products available to you and you might be pleasantly surprised!
Vegan Buffalo Pizza Sauce
While some Buffalo Pizzas use straight Buffalo sauce, I like to combine it with savory tomato sauce to balance the flavours. You can certainly change the ratio to your preference but I simply use half Buffalo sauce and half tomato sauce.
Plus for convenience, instead of making Buffalo from scratch, I simply buy Franks’ Red Hot Buffalo Wing sauce which happens to be vegan-friendly. But if you prefer to make your own, you can follow the sauce directions in my Vegan Buffalo Wings recipe found here.
When testing this recipe, I used Mutti Passata Gastronomia mad with Cherry Tomatoes which I found to be really good with a slightly sweet flavour that balanced nicely with the tangy Buffalo sauce.
Chickeny Chickless Seitan
This shreddable seitan is the most versatile vegan chicken alternative that I’ve ever made. It’s perfect in this recipe as it already has a lot of meaty flavour on its own. Then you’ll pan-fry it in vegan butter and add a bit of Buffalo sauce and seasonings to make it extra flavourful. However, if you would like to make this with store-bought vegan chicken or even tofu, just add some extra salt or other savory seasonings. This is YOUR vegan Buffalo chicken pizza and there ARE no rules!
Vegan Cheese Shreds
These days, there are a number of vegan cheese shreds available in grocery stores that are all quite good for pizza. However, none of the common grocery store brands melt very well on pizza as far as my experience. They often become crunchy or are too sticky. Except if you doctor it up a bit.
I learned from friends on Instagram, that if you just mix vegan cheese shreds with a bit of oil, they melt much nicer and look a lot more like regular cheese when baked on a pizza.
For Vegan Buffalo Chicken
- 3oz Chickeny Chickless Seitan (90g), shredded
- 1 tablespoon Frank's Buffalo Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- sprinkle of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and white pepper.
For Pizza Assembly
- 2 frozen pizza crusts, 9" each
- 2-3 tablespoon Franks' Buffalo Sauce
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 4oz vegan mozzarella shreds (120g)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a pan over high heat, melt vegan butter. When it's very hot, add the seitan shreds. Turn heat down to medium high and saute until the shreds are browned around the edges. Turn off heat, add 1 tablespoon Buffalo sauce, and sprinkle a little onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and white pepper. Fold to coat the seitan then set aside to cool.
- When the oven is fully preheated, assemble the pizzas. On the each of the frozen pizza bases, add half the Buffalo sauce and half the pizza sauce (to your taste). Spread evenly over the bases.
- In a small bowl, mix vegan cheese shreds with oil before sprinkling 1 oz of the cheese on each base; reserving 2 ounces.
- Add the seitan shreds. Slice the green onions on a diagonal and reserve the dark green parts. Sprinkle the white and light green onion pieces on the pizza. Then finally finish by sprinkling over the remaining cheese.
- Place the pizzas directly on the middle rack and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the bottom is crisp and the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Top the baked pizza with small dollops of vegan sour cream and garnish with reserved green onions. Enjoy immediately!