Inspired by the similar Hong Kong-style café dish, this Vegan Baked Fried Rice with Cheese recipe is a luxuriously simple way to elevate leftover rice. Make it all in under 30 minutes: easy and delicious vegan fried rice, rich and creamy béchamel sauce, topped with vegan cheese and broiled until bubbly and golden.
Video Tutorial for Vegan Baked Fried Rice with Cheese
Printable Recipe for Vegan Baked Fried Rice with Cheese
Vegan Baked Fried Rice with Cheese
This quick but luxurious tasting Vegan Baked Fried Rice with cheese starts with Chinese fried rice as a base, then layered with creamy béchamel and topped with plant-based cheese. Finally, the dish set under a broiler so the cheese melts into the sauce and gets bubbly and golden.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (310g)
- 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed (34g)
- 3 tbsp frozen peas, thawed (26g)
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar or sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 white pepper
- 1/2 cup liquid Just Egg (100ml)
- 1/8 tsp black salt (kala namak)
- 1/4 cup vegan ground (60g)
- 1 tsp vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup plain plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp warm water (more or less)
- sprinkle each of white pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 6 tbsp vegan mozzarella shreds
- Heat non-stick pan over medium high heat. When it is fully heated, add a teaspoon of olive oil. Swirl, then add rice. Break it up with a spatula and spread out evenly. Season with salt, nutritional yeast, sugar or sweetener and white pepper. Fold. Also fold in thawed peas and corn. Push the rice to one side of the pan.
- In the other side of the pan, add one teaspoon olive oil. Add vegan liquid egg (Just Egg) and gently scramble until fully cooked. Sprinkle over black salt, then break up the "egg" into small pieces and push into the rice. Again, making some space in the pan.
- In that space, add the vegan ground. Heat through and then add mixture of vegan oyster sauce and 1 tbsp water. Mix well and cook until all the liquid is absorbed. Fold everything in the pan together until well distributed.
- Transfer vegan "egg" fried rice to one or two oven-safe serving dishes. Rinse and dry the pan.
- Turn heat back on to medium. Melt vegan butter in it, then add all-purpose flour. Mix so the flour dissolves into the bubbling butter. Slowly add a bit of plant-based milk and mix until a smooth paste forms. Keep adding milk slowly so a thick sauce can develop without lumps. Then, add warm water by the tablespoon, whisking in, until sauce reaches a pourable consistency. Season with a sprinkle of white pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Especially if your vegan butter was unsalted, add salt to taste.
- Cover the top of the rice with the vegan béchamel sauce. Top with vegan mozzarella shreds.
- Place the oven rack on a high setting so the dishes will be only a couple inches from the top broiler. Let it heat up, then place the rice on that top rack. Let broil 4 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted, sauce is bubbling, and top is lightly golden. Watch carefully so it doesn't develop burnt spots. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 805mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 23g
Nutritional Information automatically calculated by a plugin and may not be correct.