Some days, you just need some buttery, garlic laden, soft, decadent bread. For those days, there’s this easy recipe for vegan cheesy garlic rolls. Click here to skip the pics and go straight to the recipe.
These rolls are best right out of the oven, but will keep for a few days on the counter, and can be frozen for a quick dinner side later.
The key is to be generous with the garlicky Earth Balance buttery spread (or your fav vegan spread), you could use coconut oil for this too, but chill it first!
- 2+ cups all-purpose, white flour
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup very warm water
- ¼ cup light tasting vegetable oil, such as sunflower oil
- 4 tablespoons cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal (optional, for the Omega's!)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons of traditional, dry yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup Daiya cheddar-style shreds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ cup vegan parmesan (make your own with 2 parts raw sunflower seeds, 1 part nutritional yeast, a bit of garlic powder and salt to taste or click on this vegan parm recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit (200 Celsius)
- Combine Earth Balance and 4 tablespoons of minced garlic. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the sugar into the warm water and add yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes or until all the yeast blooms.
- Add the oil, nutritional yeast, 4 tablespoons of minced garlic, salt, Daiya shreds and flax seed (if using) and mix well.
- Add the flour, a half cup at a time, until the mixture forms into a dough ball.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth.
- Roll the dough out to a rectangle. Spread the garlic butter mixture evenly on the dough, leaving two inches at the end away from you unbuttered. Sprinkle ¼ cup of vegan parm over the dough. Starting at the end closest to you, roll the dough up into a log shape. Pinch the unbuttered end into the roll.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll up into 2 inches pieces and place the pieces on to a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining vegan parm on the top of the rolls.
- Cover with a wet cloth and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes or until the rolls have puffed up to about double in size.
- Carefully remove the cloth and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until tops are golden.
- For the best results, after forming the dough, you can cover and let rise for an hour. Then punch it down and continue the recipe. This will result in a lighter bread but to be honest, most of the time I skip that step and it ends up pretty good anyway.