Ooey-gooey stuffed crust pizza goes vegan in this recipe tutorial. It’s easy to make vegan stuffed crust pizza. And, with all the vegan cheeses you can make or buy nowadays, you can make your vegan pizza as healthy or decadent as you like. There’s a trick to making stuffed crusts that remain incognito until you bite into it.
Click here for the printable recipe.
For this tutorial, I used breakfast-y toppings to make a vegan breakfast pizza. And it was good. 10/10 would do it again.
Video tutorial for Vegan Stuffed Crust Pizza
Choosing Vegan Cheese for Stuffed Crust Pizza
You can make your own vegan cheese if you don’t want to buy commercial vegan cheeses or don’t have them available in your area. Here are some vegan cheeses you can try:
Vegan Breakfast Pizza Toppings
For the breakfast toppings in the video, I used about:
- 3 – 4 vegan cheese slices (I used Earth Island/Follow Your Heart Cheddar Style)
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese shreds (I used Daiya)
- 3/4 cup leftover tofu scramble
- 1/4 cup garlic sauteed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chopped jalepeno
For a really nice tofu scramble recipe, try this recipe from Astig Vegan (it’s my favourite).
Printable Recipe for Stuffed Crust Pizza
Vegan Stuffed Crust Pizza
Ooey gooey stuffed crust pizza goes vegan in this recipe tutorial. With all the vegan cheeses you can make or buy nowadays, you can make your vegan pizza as healthy or decadent as you like.
- 1 cup warm water (about 105°F - 110°F)
- 2 teaspoons traditional yeast (instant may also be used)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (any kind you like)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- about 3 cups all-purpose flour* plus more for kneading
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce of your choice
- 3-4 vegan cheese slices
- 3/4 cup vegan cheese shreds or sauce
Make the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, mix water water with yeast and sugar. Let rest for a few minutes to see that it gets foamy. This will let you know your yeast is active and your water isn't too warm or cold.
- Add the salt and a half cup of flour and incorporate completely. Continue to add the flour, a half cup at a time, until the mixture comes together in a dough ball. You may need more or less flour than in the ingredients list due to humidity and variations in flour.
- Knead the dough right in the bowl, adding flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. You may also knead on a floured work surface. Continue for a few minutes or until the dough is fairly smooth and elastic. Note that it doesn't need to be completely smooth.
- Place the dough back in your bowl, cover it and let it rest in a warm, draft-free location until it is doubled in size; about 45 minutes. After the dough has doubled in size, this is a good time to preheat your oven to 500°F/260°C.
Shape the crust
- Transfer the dough to a floured working surface and press out the air by flattening the dough with your clean hands. Form it into a pizza shape by using a rolling pin or by pulling gently with your hands. See the video for the demonstration. The finished dough will be about 14" (36cm) in diameter.
- Prepare your baking sheet or pizza pan by oiling lightly or lining with parchment paper.
Make stuffed crust and add toppings
- Cut or tear your vegan cheese slices into 1/2" (1.25cm) wide strips. Place them along the edge of your dough, leaving about 1/2" (1.25cm) of space from the edge. Feel free to increase the amount of cheese here by double if you want a thicker stuffed crust. Fold the dough over the cheese strips and press down firmly but gently to seal.
- Add a layer of pizza sauce, sprinkle on your vegan cheese shred and add your choice of toppings before baking in your preheated oven. Bake for approximately 16 - 20 minutes. Because we're using a very hot oven, you should check it early. It may only take a minute to go from perfect to OOPS BURNT.
- Slice and serve and DON'T BURN YOUR MOUTH! SAFETY FIRST! Enjoy!
Best vegan pizza I ever made … Well my first pizza.
Better than dominos and all those other places.
Way to go, Roxanne!