This easy raw vegan mango ice cream is made with one ripe mango, coconut cream and fresh orange juice. It’s naturally soy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free (no refined sugars, that is). Plus, it takes only minutes to prepare (with an hour in the freezer) and it’s perfect for hot days! NO ice cream maker required. I hate those kind of recipes since I don’t have one! :p
Click here to skip to the printable recipe
Vegan Mango Ice Cream Video Tutorial
I love mango ice cream. Have loved it since the very first time I had it at a Japanese sushi restaurant. When I went vegan, there were lots of things I thought would just never feel the same again. Ice cream was one of those things. But after some experimenting (with a crap ton of mangoes that were on a crazy sale), I have found this easy way to make mango ice cream a part of my life again. This time, it’s even better! No added sugar, no guilt of animal products, and the taste is even MORE amazing!
For those watching their fat intake, you can switch out the coconut cream for about half a ripe banana. However, I recommend adding at least a tablespoon of coconut milk.
There is something in the coconut milk that adds a creaminess that you can’t get with just frozen mangoes or bananas. Plus, there’s that wonderful coconut aroma that makes you feel like you’re on vacation.
For tools, you’ll need a blender and some time the freezer. Any blender will do. I’m using a Bullet in the video, but it is actually the worst device for the job. My $40 Oster regular blender does the job even better but the cord was too short to include it in the video! Nevertheless, it worked out fine as you’ll see in the video.
- 1 ripe mango (must be RIPE)
- 1 medium sized orange
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (from the can, not the light stuff)
- (optional) chopped dried mango and desiccated coconut to top
- Chop up the mango, removing the pit and skin.
- Add that to your blender.
- Cut orange into halves and add the juice of one half to the blender. Make sure to remove any seeds.
- Add the coconut cream. Use 1/4 cup up to about 1/3 cup.
- Blend until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into a clean ice cube tray and freeze for an hour or until mostly solid.
- Place frozen mango mix back into the blender and add juice from the reserved orange half.
- Blend until creamy.
- Scoop into a bowl or cone and top with chopped dried mango and/or desiccated coconut.
- You may be tempted to add more liquid when blending the frozen mango mix and OJ. However, too much liquid will cause your ice cream to be too soft. If you're like me and don't have a high-powered blender, you may need to pulse it, stop, and tamp the ingredients down and repeat. I promise the effort will be well worth it!
For another fresh mango recipe that is great during hot weather, check out these mango salad rolls with spicy peanut sauce or go straight to the video tutorial. They take less than 10 minutes to make but are SO delicious!