Fun Fact: The coleslaw that I grew up with was never made at home. We got it from KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken Restaurants). Cringe-worthy but true. In this vegan version, I replicate the sweet and tangy flavour that I remember with Follow Your Heart (Earth Island) Vegenaise. You can also use your favourite store-bought or homemade vegan mayo.
I had been watching some of my old videos so look at what I liked and what I didn’t like in order to improve my videos going forward. In the process, I realized that I have some recipes on the videos that I didn’t post on this blog yet! The video below was from December. This recipe for KFC-style coleslaw was one of them.
Vegan KFC Coleslaw Recipe, plus other vegan foods I ate in a day
This recipe is naturally gluten-free and nut-free. You can make it soy-free if you use soy-free vegan mayo.
Printable Vegan KFC-style Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/2 large head of cabbage, grated finely (about 5 cups) [1180cc]
- juice from one lemon (about 1/3 cup) [80ml]
- 3 tablespoons Vegenaise or your fave vegan mayo [45ml]
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar [30ml]
- 2 tablespoons minced, white onion [30cc] or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder [2.5cc]
- 1 tablesoon sugar [15cc]
- 1 teaspoon salt [5cc]
- Optional: 1/4 cup grated carrots for color.
- Stir all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Taste and adjust for salt for your preference.
- You may drain some of the excess liquid before serving.
- I have served this coleslaw immediately after mixing the ingredients together and still get great comments from it. However, I do recommend chilling overnight for best results.