The first justification I usually give about preparing for the zombie apocalypse is that preparing for the zombie apocalypse prepares one for most other, likelier disaster scenarios (ie. earthquake, nuclear disaster, war, civil upheaval). I don’t usually volunteer the fact that I think such a eventuality isn’t so far fetched at all. It’s bound to happen one day. Whether it’s from a government laboratory experiment gone awry or the natural evolution of a zombifying bacterium, the zombies are coming. dun dun DUN.
So other than these two main reasons, here are my top five reasons for preparing for the zombie apocalypse:
- +100 points for Badassness – whether it’s sharpening archery aims or learning to use a gun, you have to admit, equipping oneself with ranged weapons skills is pretty fraking cool.
- Extra motivation to get off the couch – as Columbus said in Zombieland, “The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons… were the fatties. “
- A zombie-proof home is also a people-proof home – Hey, I like my alone time, alright?
- Gaming time is now “console-aided combat simulation” time – Jus sayin’
- Getting to say “I told you so” – I’m still waiting for this benefit to kick in.