Make easy vegan parmesan with just four ingredients. Five, if you want to make it smoky. Click here to skip the ramble, pics and go right to the recipe. I use it on everything from mac and “cheese” to these vegan garlic cheesy rolls.
I once bought vegan parmesan over the internet. I was so excited when it arrived that I immediately got a spoon out and gave it a taste. I almost barfed. Seriously. Ew. I think the bottle was rancid, it probably wasn’t the brand (I hope). But that experience put me off trying out any other vegan parmesan brands. Instead, I just did without. That is, until a few weeks ago when I was making baked mac and cheese and wanted some parmesan goodness on top.
So I looked in my pantry for what crunchy cheesiness I could come up with. The huge bag of raw sunflower seeds that I had bought over a month ago with plans of making some healthy trail mix stared back at me. I shrugged, took it as a sign, and threw some in the Magic Bullet with some nooch, salt, and some facon (fake bacon) bits for a hint of smokiness. *BUZZ BUZZ* went the Bullet. *Taste taste* went my mouth. The missing flavour was fixed with a bit of garlic powder!
It’s parm perfection! Well, it does the job and takes a minute to put together. If you don’t have any sunflower seeds, raw cashew or raw, skinned, almonds would do as well. Raw seeds/nuts work best as they are milder in flavour than their roasted counterparts.
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, raw, shelled
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon no-meat bacon bits (I used a no-name brand that happened to be vegan); leave it out to get just a simple parmesan alternative without the smokey flavour.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (adjust for your taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust for your taste)
- Pulse all the ingredients together in a blender for a couple seconds or until the desired consistency.
- This parm is pretty salty, so if you may want to leave out the salt until after you combine all the ingredients and then just add to your taste.
- If you can't find vegan bacon bits, try adding just a tiny bit of liquid smoke instead.