Creamy spaghetti carbonara with smoked salmon used to be one of my favourite pasta dishes. And now, it’s easily veganized with the help of carrot lox. You may be wondering: how in the world can carrots stand in for smoked salmon? If so, you’ll need to watch my previous video on how to make carrot lox or check out the original recipe by Olives for Dinner here. It’s pretty much magic. Especially since I usually hate carrots.
Click here to skip to the printable recipe for Vegan Lox Carbonara.
Video tutorial for Vegan Spaghetti Carbonara with Carrot Lox
Video tutorial for Making Vegan Smoked Salmon (aka Carrot Lox)
Once you have your vegan lox, the ingredients to this dish are super simple. You probably already have them in your pantry. Some kind of oil, garlic, flour, broth or your favourite non-dairy milk, salt and pepper and nutritional yeast. The last item is a bit more unusual but you’ll have it you’re at least level 1 vegan-dabbler.
Now for the healthier ingredients, I have some baby spinach, kale and chard. I chose these greens because you can just stir them into warm pasta and they’ll cook through with just the residual heat. You can use whatever you like.
Printable recipe for Vegan Smoked Salmon Spaghetti Carbonara
- 5 1/2 oz uncooked spaghetti (160g)
- 3 1/2 oz carrot lox (see notes for recipe link) (100g)
- 1 cup packed tender greens (such as baby spinach, kale, or chard) (45g)
- 1/4 cup cooked sweet green peas (optional)
- 2 teaspoons refined coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk or vegetable broth (120ml)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- water/broth to thin sauce (or reserve pasta water)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the garlic stir fry for 30 seconds or until the garlic starts to brown around the edges.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until totally combined. Let cook for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Add the non-dairy milk while stirring. The mixture may become lumpy; whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add nutritional yeast. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The sauce will be very thick. Add water, broth or pasta water to thin it out and whisk until smooth. You may need between 1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 - 120 ml) of extra liquid.
- Stir in the greens, peas (if using), and carrot lox. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper before serving. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 599Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 1663mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 34g
Nutritional Information automatically calculated by a plugin and may not be correct.