This cream of chickpea vegetable soup makes a delicious lunch or starter that’s low in fat but high in plant-based nutrients. Using home-cooked or canned chickpeas, you can have it ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
Cream of Chickpea + Low Fat Kung Pao Tofu // WIAW #92
Watch me make the Cream of Chickpea Vegetable Soup at 1:24.
More delicious vegan recipes with chickpeas:
Printable recipe for Cream of Chickpea Vegetable Soup
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 6 cups chickpea cooking water or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot chilli pepper, minced
- 4 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped gai lan (Chinese broccoli)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Blend 4 cups of cooked chickpeas with 4 cups of cooking water or vegetable broth until very smooth.
- In a large pot over high heat, stir-fry onion, garlic and hot pepper in a little oil.
- After 30 seconds, add the celery and carrots. Stir-fry until the celery is cooked but still crisp. Add gai lan, if using. Add the chickpea puree and as much extra broth as you like. Lower temperature to medium and cook until the soup is bubbling. Add lemon juice and salt. Taste and adjust for salt.
- As with most soups, it's even better the next day.