Pre-vegan, I loved smoked salmon sandwiches with cream cheese. I loved them even more atop a multi-tiered Afternoon Tea stand. Veganizing this sandwich was made ridiculously simple and easy with store-bought smoked tofu and Daiya wedges. The Havarti-style variety makes for a creamy, tangy spread and thinly sliced tofu makes a great taste-dupe for smoked salmon.
Vegan Smoked Tofu & Cream Cheese Pinwheel Sandwiches Recipe
Time to Make: 10 minutes or less
Makes 8 little pinwheels
- 4 slices of white or brown bread
- about 1/4 block of organic smoked tofu, sliced as thin as possible (I used Soyganic Smoked Tofu from Sunrise Soya Foods but you can also make your own)
- about 2 tablespoons of vegan spreadable cheese (I used Daiya’s Jalapeno Garlic Harvarti-style Wedge)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried dill (fresh is best)
- about 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Cut the crusts off the bread. Flatten each piece of bread flat with a rolling pin (or in my case, a de-labelled, used beer bottle). Spread each slice of bread with vegan cheese. Top with a few thin slices of smoked tofu. Sprinkle on the dill and paprika.
Firmly roll up each piece. My bread was dry so it started to crack. To make rolling easier, you can use a bamboo sushi rolling mat like I did. Cut each piece in half. Display. Instagram. Eat.