Turmeric is an awesome natural anti-inflammatory spice and lately I’ve been using a lot of it. As some of you know I’ve been dealing with repetitive strain injuries in my upper limbs and it’s greatly affected my day-to-day. Luckily, turmeric milk helps to relieve the pain, reducing my reliance on NSAIDS. This turmeric milk mix helps me make my “medicine” in a few minutes without much work. And it tastes pretty good too!
In the past, I made turmeric milk tea by boiling together ground spices, fresh ginger and raw cashews then blending them smooth. These days, I try to reduce all types of hand movements so I can save my strength for making videos and doing things that are actually fun for me…which is making videos. ha! So I stopped doing this from-scratch-business and started making my turmeric milk from a mix of ground spices, store-bought plant milk, and simply heating it in the microwave every morning.
If you’re thinking of using turmeric for therapeutic reasons, please consider consulting with a health professional. Turmeric is wonderful and natural but even wonderful natural things can be harmful in large enough doses.
What I Ate In A Day VEGAN #61 // Turmeric Milk
This recipe originally appeared in this video first. Watch from 1:04 to see how I made the mix and prepared my turmeric milk tea.
Printable recipe for My Turmeric Milk Mix
- 3 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large pinch ground black pepper
- Mix the spices together thoroughly and store in a tightly sealed jar away from direct sunlight or extreme temperatures.
- To use, add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of turmeric milk mix to 1 cup (8oz/230ml) of plant milk such as soy, cashew or coconut. Add sweetener to taste. Heat for about 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave to heat through.
- These flavours can be strong if you're not familiar or used to them. Start with a 1/2 teaspoon to one 8oz/230ml cup of plant milk for a mild version of this drink.
- If you are using turmeric for therapeutic reasons or are on medication (especially blood thinners), consider consulting a health professional. I personally do not exceed 3 teaspoons of this mix per day. I am not a health professional.