This dish of protein-rich edamame and green is iron-rich, high in Vitamin C and Beta-carotene and one of my favourite delicious snacks. You can also use other greens for this such as boy choy, chard, or spinach. Serve it hot or chilled, it’s perfect between meals or as a side dish.
Having stir fried greens was a pretty common snack for me growing up. They were so delicious that I didn’t notice that greens was supposed to be a healthy food that children hated. This dish is a bit more grown up with the addition of red chili flakes. But if you don’t like spice, feel free to leave that out and add in seasonings like soy sauce, a bit of miso paste, or dress the finished greens and beans with vegan hoisin sauce.
Video Tutorial for Spicy Edamame and Yu Choy
This dish is quite filling and is a powerhouse of protein, iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
Printable recipe for Spicy Edamame and Greens
- 2 cups yu choy, packed | 100g
- 1/2 cup edamame, frozen | 85 g
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 small slice ginger, about 1/2" | 1-2 cm diameter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and chop the greens into lengths of your choosing. I chopped mine into about 4" lengths.
- High a pan over high heat. Add the frozen edamame, ginger, garlic and chili flakes. Stir well. Let cook for about one minute.
- Add the greens, about two tablespoons of water, and cover the pan. Let steam for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the cover carefully, tilting the lid away from you so that the steam doesn't billow up in your face.
- Give the greens and beans a stir, turning over any large pieces so that they can cook evenly. Allow the water to bubble away.
- When the water is almost all evaporated, add soy sauce if using.
- Add salt and pepper if desired. Then remove from heat and serve.
Adjust the amount of red chili flakes to your preference or leave them out if you don't like spice. Instead, season with vegan hoisin sauce, sauce sauce or fermented bean curd (fuyu).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 601mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 7gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutritional Information automatically calculated by a plugin and may not be correct.