Soft and smooth traditional tofu is lighter tasting than grainy-textured firm versions often called for in tofu scramble recipes. Infused with the flavours of garlic, white pepper, and soy sauce, this vegan scramble recipe makes a delicious breakfast with Chinese/Cantonese influences. Click here for the printable recipe.
I’ve had countless tofu scrambles after going vegan almost 5 years ago. Some not very scrambley (like this Thai Curry scramble based on cubed tofu), some crumbly, many very sad and bland (at restaurants), and others have been super tasty (homemade ftw!). However, most of these were based on using firm or extra firm tofu. However, I find that softer traditional tofu makes a better dupe for eggs because it has a smoother texture which is similar to soft-cooked eggs and a milder flavour so it’s easier to cover the slight beany flavour of tofu.
The combination of garlic, white pepper and soy sauce in this recipe is the same I used to use when making scrambled eggs at home in my pre-vegan days. The black salt (kala namak) gives the tofu a hint of sulfur and makes it taste like eggs. And turmeric gives a yellow color that looks eggs plus the anti-inflammatory benefits of the spice itself. Best of all, it takes only minutes to make.
Watch me make this for breakfast in this week’s What I Ate video. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
What I Ate Vegan #66 // Juicy, Salty + Perfect
Printable Recipe for Soy Sauce Tofu Scramble
- 12oz / 350g Traditional Tofu (med-firm)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (kala namak)
- 1/2 teaspoon sliced hot green pepper
- pinch white pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon aquafaba mayonnaise
- In a nonstick pan over medium-high heat, break up the block of tofu into smaller pieces. Cook for about 5 minutes, letting the excess moisture in the tofu leech out and evaporate. You can turn the heat to high to speed things up but be careful not to let it brown/burn.
- When the water is mostly cooked off, add turmeric and crushed garlic. Lower the heat to medium. Mix the ingredients until the tofu has turned an even yellow color. It should look a lot like scrambled eggs now.
- Mix in the black salt, sliced green pepper, white pepper and soy sauce. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped scallion and aquafaba mayonnaise (or other vegan mayo). Enjoy!
- This savory scramble goes great in a soft bun with some crispy seitan on top.