Making vegan pesto is easy. Garlic scapes add an unusual but delicious twist! Garlic scapes are the flowerstalks of garlic plants. They are usually available from farmer’s markets during the summer and taste like mild garlic. Use this pesto on pasta, as a marinade, as a spread in sandwiches or anywhere else you’d like some herby garlicky goodness!
Click here for the printable recipe.
Video Tutorial for Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto
Last week, I was saw that my local organic delivery service had a limited supply of garlic scapes available so I snatched some up right away. Not that I knew what they were or what to do with them. It was a veg, it had to do with garlic so I was sold! It tastes like garlic but milder. I chopped some up for stir fries and fried rice but I still had quite a bit left after one week. Not wanting any of this to go to waste, I thought pesto sounded like the best idea. So I just used what I had and blended it all together.
I am pretty crazy about garlic so I used quite a bit here. Taste your scapes before you add them so you can adjust the amounts for your taste. Or course, with fresh pesto, the best thing is fresh pasta! The fresh pasta recipe and video will be up soon!
Of course, regular pesto includes cheese. This version is bright and flavourful without cheese, but you can add nutritional yeast or vegan parm such as this Smokey Sunflower Vegan Parmesan that takes only a minute to make.
Also, if you want to avoid using oil or would prefer a pesto cream, use one half to a whole avocado and some water in it’s place.
Printable Recipe for Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto
- 1 bunch of garlic scapes, cleaned and chopped [175g]
- 1 large handful of basil, chopped [35g]
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon) [30ml]
- 1 teaspoon sea salt [10cc]
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper [5cc]
- 1/2 cup olive oil [118ml] **See notes for oil-free version**
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast or 1-2 tablespoons of Vegan Smokey Sunflower Parm
- Blend all ingredients until desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Optionally, add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast or 1-2 tablespoons of Sunflower Parm
- Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 10 days or freeze in an ice cube tray and store in a airtight container/bag.
- For an oil-free version that is more like pesto cream, use one half to one whole avocado with a bit of water in place of the olive oil. Try to add just enough water for everything to blend smoothly.