This recipe for vegan ‘chicken’ broth powder is super simple but so useful and versatile! Just mix with water to make vegan ‘chicken’ broth to replace regular chicken broth when you’re veganizing your old favourite recipes. Or you can use it dry to add a salty, savory flavour to tofu scrambles and similar dishes, sprinkle on popcorn and nut mixes, and more.
Video tutorial for DIY Vegan Chicken Broth Powder
This DIY Vegan Chicken Broth Powder was inspired by my first whiff of pure nutritional yeast, over seven years ago. When I first went vegan and was researching vegan alternatives, I read about nutritional yeast and how it was good for adding a cheesy flavour to foods. My first impression was not one of cheesiness. I thought it smelled and tasted a lot like instant chicken noodle mix. Specifically, it reminded me of Lipton’s. I would add just a tiny pinch to vegetable stock to add that chicken-ish flavour to soups and dishes and always told myself I’d make a mix to make things easier. I never did. Until recently.
After posting my Best Vegan Fried Chicken recipe, I have gotten tons of comments asking where to get vegan chicken broth, what is vegan chicken broth, and how to make vegan chicken broth. Since spending way too much hand budget answering individual comments, I finally decided it was time to bottle a mix and share the recipe!
In the video, I also share some brands of vegan chicken broth that you can buy, as well as my favourite chicken broth alternatives. Most commercial vegan chicken broth concentrates (powders, pastes, liquids) include herbs that are often used in cooking chicken in Western cuisine. The most popular brand I like is Better Than Bouillon’s No Chicken Base. Be careful when buying though as they have meat versions as well. These herb flavours (sage, rosemary, thyme, etc) are associated with chicken flavour in our minds. MY DIY version also uses poultry seasoning, though I leave it out when I’m making non-Western dishes like my Hainanese Not-Chicken Rice. The blend of nutritional yeast, salt, sugar, and herbs is cheap, easy and affordable but I have to admit, it’s not as convincing as my favourite: mushroom seasoning! This mushroom seasoning is NOT ground up mushrooms; it does NOT taste very mushroom-y. Instead, the main ingredient is a mushroom extract. When mixed with water, it resembles pure broth without herbs.
That said, my favourite vegan chicken broths are not always easy to access so having this DIY version as a backup is a must. It’s just so convenient. It’s especially good to have on hand during cold/flu season. When you’re under the weather, the last thing you’ll want to do is trek out to a store to buy supplies. Just mix the DIY Vegan ‘Chicken’ Broth powder with water, crumble in some tofu, toss in some pasta and boil until the pasta is tender. In about 6 minutes, you’ll have the easiest lazy vegan ‘chicken’ noodle soup.
Printable recipe for DIY Vegan ‘Chicken’ Broth Powder
This recipe makes about 20 servings.To use, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of this powder with 1 cup of water to make 1 cup of vegan 'chicken' broth.
Pin this recipe.
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in a jar and cover tightly. Shake well to thoroughly mix all the ingredients.
- To use, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons of this powder with 1 cup of water to make 1 cup of vegan 'chicken' broth.
- Store in a cool dry place. Shake well between each use.
- Poultry seasoning is a commonly used blend of herbs, usually containing sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg, and black pepper. Use a salt-free blend to avoid making this recipe too salty or reduce the amount of salt used if your blend already includes salt.
- To make the easiest, laziest vegan 'chicken' noodle soup, combine 2 teaspoons of DIY Vegan 'Chicken' Broth powder, 2 cups of boiling water, some crumbled tofu, and a small handful of dry pasta in a pot. Boil until the pasta is tender. Taste and adjust the seasonings.