Follow my blog with Bloglovin
You’ll love this creamy roasted red pepper and walnut salad dressing. It’s an oil-free vegan salad dressing with tangy lemon, sweet roasted red pepper, fiber-rich dates and heart-healthy walnuts. Just throw everything into a blender to produce a rich and creamy salad dressing that’s great on slaws, tender greens, and grilled veggies and more! Click here for the printable recipe.
What I Ate Vegan #75 video
I never used to make my own salad dressing. But once I started and realized how quick and easy it is to make vegan salad dressing, I rarely go for the store-bought stuff. There are so many benefits to making your own:
- fresher flavour
- more nutritious ingredients
- no ingredients you just don’t want or need
- customized to your taste
- usually lower cost than store-bought
- no packaging to throw away
Of course, you can fill your salad dressing with the unhealthiest ingredients if you so choose. Unicorn dressing anyone? Ha! This is your homemade salad dressing and there are no rules.
I don’t usually write down my improvised salad dressings, but this one was so good that I had to make it again and again! In my What I Ate Vegan #75 video, I mixed it into a slaw of kale, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and cabbage. I didn’t show it well in the video, but this slaw was full of tough fibrous veggies so it needed a bunch of massaging. Keep that in mind if you choose a salad base that fights back a little.
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Salad Dressing
This recipe makes about 1/2 cup; enough to dress two large salads. Feel free to multiply the recipe and store the leftovers in the fridge for up to a week.
- 1 roasted red pepper, seeds removed
- 4 dates, soaked + pitted
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Soak the dates for at least an hour to soften them. Make sure the pits are removed completely. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Enjoy!